[ODE] Car sim help

Amund Børsand amund at offroad.no
Mon Aug 25 01:15:02 2003

Nate W <coding@natew.com> skreiv:

> On Sun, 24 Aug 2003, maillist wrote:

> > Two: my steering wheel also steer less and less as I go faster. It is
> > set to use angularvel to control steering

> Are the wheels turning about the steering axis?  If the wheels are
> steering but the car isn't turning, it may just be that the friction is
> not high enough to get good steering at high speed.  Try turning up the
> ground<->tire friction and see if that helps.

No, I've noticed this as well, it seems to be related (but kind of
opposite) to the bendy wheels problem. When you go fast, the steering
wheels tend to steer less - don't know if this is a gyro effect or
something ;) perhaps the bendy wheels all come from a kind of a gyro
effect; the problems I've seem if I remember correctly seem to try to
keep the wheel turning axis fixed to the world, but the car is turning
so the wheels bend relative to the car. There isn't some simple
constand/equation which can compensate for these "gyro" forces that can
be put into the Amotor/Joint restraint force calculations to delete them
out?

--
Amund Børsand <amund atsign offroad.no>