[ODE] Tank simulation how?

Patrik Stellmann patrik at volleynet.de
Mon Aug 4 04:15:02 2003

Csáki Péter wrote:

>Hello ODE people,
>
>I'm using ode for my vehicle physics but now I need help from you.
>I was thinking that a series of wheels would produce the needed effect (they are not rendered in 3d). I wanted to set the wheel's speed differently for both sides. For example the left wheels rotate forward and the right wheels rotate backward. I thought it would rotate the vehicle.

I think the same and on my 2-wheel robot (with an additional not driven
ball to keep balance) that's also exactly what happens.

>But it is not working as I expected.

You should provide some more information what happens so we might know
what the actual problem is (Did you specify friction between wheels and
ground?)

An alternative which is also much faster would be not to use several
wheels (using more than 4 wouldn't be of any use anyway I think) but to
use two boxes (one on each side) and specify a surface velocity in the
box-ground-contact...