[ODE] BSP and ODE's collision system

nearaz nearaz at interamotion.com
Mon Apr 21 12:51:03 2003

> ah ok...more collidables for better use of hashspace...makes perfect
> sense. I dont know why I had the impression that if the geometry
> consists of several geometries, then ode will automatically checks

ODE just puts into hash-bins according to collidable axis aligned boundig box
(AABB). So one huge collidable isn't using the advantages of the hash-space
at all.

> Ok, I definitely get the faces/leaves information having indices of
> vertices in the vertex array etc. and this is where I would call
> GL_TRIANGLE or something like that..but the problem is..where do I
> pass this to ode ? This triangle information I get while

You construct the triangle mesh for collision (using dTriList contribution).
Of course, colliding with triangles at it's current state isn't perfect (eg.
you can't collide one trilist with another)...

Or, as gl suggested, you could implement tri-collider (or whatever primitive
you end up with collider) with BSP (as opposed to current tri-collider, which
uses OPCODE library, which in turn uses bounding box hierarchy). Still I'm
unsure if it would perform better than current tri-collider in common
scenarios...

Aras Pranckevicius aka NeARAZ
http://www.gim.ktu.lt/nesnausk/nearaz/