[ODE] GTA3 and Physics

Kenneth Holmlund holmlund at hpc2n.umu.se
Wed Oct 30 14:31:02 2002

The probably most advanced vehicle simulator around is the
harvester simulator by Oryx Simulations.
See http://www.oryx.se/
It's using Vortex from CM-Labs, and Russ had a key
role in it's early development. (see http://www.cm-labs.com/)
In this simulator you have full vehicle dynamics
plus highly advanced interaction with many objects
in the environment. Upcoming simulators for "heavy
vehicles" use physics for adding even more realism
and generality.
If you would tear off the hardware (for control and
display) the whole thing could quite easily be made
into a "game like" application (there's a reason
why Russ talks about "Harvester wars" in his notes! :)

ODE and Vortex were quite similar one year ago,
but Vortex has quite a few more features nowadays,
as well as an improved friction model and better
stability for rotating bodies.
In fact, MathEngine Karma, ODE and Vortex all bear
influences from the same people (including Russ),
but they have been developed independently for some
time now (though I really don't know much about
Karma these days).

/Kenneth

--
Kenneth Holmlund