[ODE] Speed of ODE's constraint method

Erwin de Vries erwin at vo.com
Sun Oct 27 12:31:57 2002

> On Sat, 26 Oct 2002, Erwin de Vries wrote:
>
> > > It's like Porrasturvat, but without the stairs [...]  With four dolls
> > > (team dismount!), about 15 fps.  Changing them to capped cylinders,
> > > 6-9 fps.
> >
> > These framerates look rediculously low. Are you measuring the physics
> > stepping rate?
>
> I am now, and you're right, those numwers are really low with four dolls
> and capped cylinders, the dWorldStep call takes about 7 milliseconds.
>
> Drawing the scene takes about 22ms, so I should be getting around 35 fps,
> not 6-to-9.  Thanks for the tip, now I'll see what I can do about it.

If the dWorldStep time is 7 milliseconds, isnt ~143fps the number you should
be reporting? It might be questionable that you are doing only one worldstep
in one rendering step, but if someone wants to know how fast ODE is this is
the best way of telling them. :-) And any rendering shouldnt interfere with
these numbers of course.

Erwin