[ODE] RE: Wheel rotation problem

McEvoy, Nick nick.mcevoy at dsto.defence.gov.au
Wed Oct 16 18:03:01 2002

> Peter wrote:
>That was pretty much exactly the results I got - this problem has
>completely killed my ODE project.

That is the way I'm heading too !!!  It's a damn shame cause ODE is great stuff generally !  But I'm not one to give up easily.

> Russ wrote:
>well, anything is possible :) the question is, why does it happen in the
>first place. here's the answer:
><snip>

Thanks Russ for the nice long answer (in physics terms) but no real (good) solution (in the short term at least). :(

Any other hints on the best setup of chassis & wheel mass and dimensions (including contact params) to reduce the problem. eg. should I have heavy/light chassis, heavy/light wheels, large/small diam wheels ... I suppose it should be obvious if I think about it for a moment ... thats my problem sometimes I type (incl. my code) then think later.  I'll also check my timestep size as well.

> Remko wrote:
>You can fix the viual appearance of the wheel easily though.
<snip>

Yes I suppose I could fix the visual appearance ... but I don't want to do too many fake-hacks (I've already got enough) ... I like something to look and feel realistic as possible.

I'll follow what Russ said '[its an] exercise in error reduction, not error elimination' ... and keep fiddling and let you all know if I find the optimal values.

Nick