Re[2]: [ODE] Cylinder colisions

slipch slipch <slipch at gsc-game.kiev.ua>
Thu Oct 10 04:59:02 2002

Hello Mattias,

It seems my message has not get through. At least I do not see it back in
my Inbox.
I send it again.

MF> Hey! Nice job, I tried it out and it seems to work the way it should.
MF> I've seen cylinders explode out into space, but only rarely.

They must not "explode out".  One reason it may happen is well known
problem with integration of fast rotating body. Cylinders (as well as
Capped Cylinders) must show this problem more often than other bodies
especially when radius/length ratio is small. It happen because
rotating around an axis with small inertia partly counts as rotating
around an axis with large inertia. But it is not a problem of
colliders.
To resolve it finite rotation axes may be used or simply
do not set inertia tensor with strongly different inertia of its axes.
It is also should depend on integration step.

--
Best regards,
 slipch                            mailto:slipch@gsc-game.kiev.ua