[ODE] Recommendations?

Eric Cha ericc at xenopi.com
Wed Jun 19 10:29:02 2002

Hi Everyone,

I have been playing with ODE now for about a month, and while it is very
impressive at what it does and what it is designed for, it's not quite
what I am in need of.  I was wondering if anyone could give me some
direction here or at least some suggestions, since I've been searching
for quite some time...

I'm looking for a physics simulator which has the following features:

1) Does simple non-articulated rigid body simulation (collision
detection/response) using the micro-collision (Mirtich et al.) method.
3) Handles triangle soups (incl. collision between two triangulated
bodies).  Collision with other primitives is helpful, but not really
required...
3) Source Code freely available - I am trying to learn and stabilize my
own simulator.

As you can see, while ODE is very cool, it doesn't really address my
needs (and wasn't meant to...)  Can anyone point me in a good direction?
(BTW, I've purchased the O'Reilly book "Physics for Game Developers" and
while it was quite good for explaining the core theories of the
microcollision method, it came up quite short on implementation, IMHO..)

Thanks,

Eric

---