[ODE] problems with hinge2 & car steering

Sergio Valverde svalverde at barcelona.ubisoft.es
Thu Jul 25 03:29:02 2002

Hi,
I'm coding a simple vehicle simulation with Hinge2 joints (yes,
yet another buggy-derivated driving model)  but I'have problems
trying to keep the car stable when turning.  The wheels are
simulated with single spheres which are connected to the body
with the hinge2's.

When the car si moving straight seems to work ok but if turning
and accelerating at the same time chances to overturn the car
are increasing very fast!!  Also, seems that turning the car
has the undesirable effect of brake it, making very difficult to
drive the car.

I tryed to adjust both the Erp & Cfm suspension parameters and
even the masses of body and individual wheels but the desired
behaviour was not reached at all.

Any idea to fix this awful behaviour?
Thank you very much,
Sergi