[ODE] Question about contacts

Nate W coding at natew.com
Thu Dec 19 12:30:02 2002

On Thu, 19 Dec 2002, Ruslan Trifonov wrote:

> But I am not familiar with the contact.surface parameters although I
> read the ODE manual. That's because I am not so mach in physics sims.
> So I'll appreciate if somebody help me with it. Some ideas, example,
> or additional manuals. If somebody has experience plase give me an
> idea how to determine if particular leg is "pushing" or dragging or
> may be there is no sense to use these concepts ...

I think it makes sense to experiement with different values of foot-ground
friction, but don't change that during the simulation.  Instead, it would
be better to refine the robot's control system.  Rather than letting it
drag its feet, program it to pick its feet up.  :-)

Creating a control systems for a walking creature is a challenge, but it
is a fun challenge!

--

Nate Waddoups
Redmond WA USA