[ODE] Car wheels

Robert Milesz mr335 at hszk.bme.hu
Wed Dec 4 08:10:02 2002

------=_NextPart_000_0015_01C29BAF.4C315A00

Hello,

First of all, let me apologize for not being able to read all of the =
mailing
archive (it would take a _lot_ of time, and I'm in quite in a hurry), so =
might ask a question that's been already answered. In that case, please
point me to the appropriate archive file.

So, here goes: I'm trying to create a car, and I'm almost done with
everything I needed, but there's a problem I just can't fix. The rear =
wheels
tend to rotate, which is unexpected, as I set the HiStop and LoStop
parameters to 0.0 (all four wheels have hinge2 joints). This effect is
visible especially when the car is sliding in a turn. In this case, the =
rear
wheels are turning towards the direction of the sliding movement, which =
is
what supposed to happen, but only if there wasn't a 'lock' on the Hi and
LoStop parameters. I've tried quite a lot of things to fix this. I've =
raised
the CFM (global CFM, and the joint's CFM too), it helped a little, but =
the
effect is still annoying, and I cannot raise the CFM values any more,
because the springs of the wheels will get 'weak'. I've tried to raise =
the
ERP of the rear wheels as well, but it did not have any visible effects.
I've set the finite rotation mode, but it didn't help (not surprisingly. =
believe this is for another purpose). I was thinking about replacing the
hinge2 joints with a slider and a motor for the rear wheels, but I think =
read somewhere in the manual, that it is not advised, so I didn't =
implement
it. Right now, I'm out of ideas. If anybody had similar problems, and
managed to get through them, please help.

Thank you in advance,
Robert Milesz
mr335@hszk.bme.hu

------=_NextPart_000_0015_01C29BAF.4C315A00

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-2">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV>Hello,<BR><BR>First of all, let me apologize for not being able to =
read all=20
of the mailing<BR>archive (it would take a _lot_ of time, and I'm in =
quite in a=20
hurry), so I<BR>might ask a question that's been already answered. In =
that case,=20
please<BR>point me to the appropriate archive file.<BR><BR>So, here =
goes: I'm=20
trying to create a car, and I'm almost done with<BR>everything I needed, =
but=20
there's a problem I just can't fix. The rear wheels<BR>tend to rotate, =
which is=20
unexpected, as I set the HiStop and LoStop<BR>parameters to 0.0 (all =
four wheels=20
have hinge2 joints). This effect is<BR>visible especially when the car =
is=20
sliding in a turn. In this case, the rear<BR>wheels are turning towards =
the=20
direction of the sliding movement, which is<BR>what supposed to happen, =
but only=20
if there wasn't a 'lock' on the Hi and<BR>LoStop parameters. I've tried =
quite a=20
lot of things to fix this. I've raised<BR>the CFM (global CFM, and the =
joint's=20
CFM too), it helped a little, but the<BR>effect is still annoying, and I =
cannot=20
raise the CFM values any more,<BR>because the springs of the wheels will =
get=20
'weak'. I've tried to raise the<BR>ERP of the rear wheels as well, but =
it did=20
not have any visible effects.<BR>I've set the finite rotation mode, but =
it=20
didn't help (not surprisingly. I<BR>believe this is for another =
purpose). I was=20
thinking about replacing the<BR>hinge2 joints with a slider and a motor =
for the=20
rear wheels, but I think I<BR>read somewhere in the manual, that it is =
not=20
advised, so I didn't implement<BR>it. Right now, I'm out of ideas. If =
anybody=20
had similar problems, and<BR>managed to get through them, please=20
help.<BR><BR>Thank you in advance,<BR>Robert Milesz<BR><A=20
href=3D"mailto:mr335@hszk.bme.hu">mr335@hszk.bme.hu</A><BR></DIV></BODY><=
/HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0015_01C29BAF.4C315A00--