[ODE] "Configuration Management"

nlin@nlin.net nlin at nlin.net
Sat Nov 3 14:40:01 MST 2001

Russ Smith russ at q12.org wrote:

Re: ODE as a DLL

> hmmm, i've not really given any thought to maintaining binary
> compatability between releases. the ODE API exports a number of
> structures whose layout could be changed. when we hit the 1.0
> (whenever that might be) we can start to maintian binary compatability.

As far as I know, compliance with the LGPL does not require binary
compatibility; it only requires that either linkable object files are
provided, or that the operating system's dynamic library mechanism
is used (which would be the case with a DLL), just so that it is
technically possible for someone, who does write a binary-compatible
replacement library, to drop it in and have it work. So, I don't think
we need to worry about binary compatibility, at least not because of the
LGPL.

-Norman