[ODE] ODE rocks!

Benny Kramek wolfman8k at runbox.com
Tue Dec 4 07:55:02 2001

Thank you for making ODE! It is a very cool library.

Anyway, after making a couple of simple programs using ODE I finally made
something that's pretty cool:

A ball rolls down a ramp and crashes into a wall of bricks.
Screenshots:
  http://www.redeyetechnologies.com/tech/old/snapshot6.png
  http://www.redeyetechnologies.com/tech/old/snapshot7.png
  http://www.redeyetechnologies.com/tech/old/snapshot8.png
  http://www.redeyetechnologies.com/tech/old/snapshot9.png
Sourcecode:
  http://www.redeyetechnologies.com/tech/old/brickwall.cpp
In order to compile it you'll need Allegro and AllegroGL(And ODE of course).
Both are available for Windows and unix.
I can upload an x86 Linux X executable if anyone wants.

Two problems though:
1) It is very slow. The ball crawls towards the wall, but right when the wall
tumbles everything is super-fast. I can understand that there must be
hundreds of contact points and so this is probably expected.
2) Instability. Sometimes, the ball will just disappear. Sometimes before it
touches the wall and sometimes after the wall tumbles on top of it. When the
ball disapears something like this gets spit to stderr:
  ODE Message 3: LCP internal error, s <= 0 (s=nan)
I also get lots of those even when everything appears to be working ok.

Other than that it works very well. Thanks again and keep up the good work!
Also, I'd like to help with ODE but I know almost nothing about physics. (I
haven't finished high-school yet). Maybe I could write beginner tutorials or
something like that?