[ODE] 0.8.2 candidate

Bram Stolk b.stolk at gmail.com
Thu Sep 27 10:13:15 MST 2007

On 9/27/07, Jason Perkins <starkos at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 9/27/07, Bram Stolk <b.stolk at gmail.com> wrote:
> > We need to release a candidate for 0.8.2
>
> I will get to it ASAP, and I will label it 0.8.2...but I'm going to

Thanks mate.

let you handle all of the inevitable "where's 0.8.1?" questions.   :)

Sure thing.
After I have answered it 3 times in this list, I will make it a faq.
Let's see if it gets to be a faq  entry :-)

I realize version numbers are more or less arbitrary, but is there
> some rationale behind adding another digit instead of going to 0.9?
> (0.5 -> 0.6 -> 0.7 -> 0.8 -> 0.8.2 ??)

Well, the rationale is that it leaves us some space to 1.0 ?
We can go to 0.9 if you prefer that.
The long list of changes may warrant a higher bump in version?

1.0 sounds like a good version nr for a really stable, proven and
established release.
2.0 would be the thing to use once we break API compatibility.
Did ODE ever break API compatibility before? If we do, we get to clean up
this ugly convention of adding a '2' to several functions if they behave
slightly different. Yuck!

  bram

Jason

--