[ODE] new trimesh vs trimesh code

Jon Watte (ODE) hplus-ode at mindcontrol.org
Thu Sep 13 16:23:06 MST 2007

Oleh Derevenko wrote:
> corrections would not cover complete scope of collision related code
> then. And I can't fix that because it is impossible to implement
> reliable hashing for unlimited data size in fixed size hash table.

You leave it, or you fix it.

Merging contacts through hashing is totally possible, although you have
to examine 27 (or 8) hash buckets for potential neighbors to merge,
rather than just the bucket you find.

Or, because collision merging is an inexact art anyway, don't merge if
two contacts happen to fall in different buckets, even though they are
close.

It sounds to me as if the only thing needed to make this code "correct"
is to make sure that, when you get a hash collision, only merge if the
two contacts are in fact "close" to each other. But I haven't looked at
the code; I only go off of your description.

Cheers,

          / h+