[ODE] trimesh error

Jon Watte (ODE) hplus-ode at mindcontrol.org
Thu Oct 4 22:12:59 MST 2007

Bram Stolk wrote:
> I would try GIMPACT.
> If that one has weird results also, check your trimesh for
> inconsistencies.
> See if the triangles planar and such.
>
>   Bram

Bram,

Could you please provide me with an example of a non-planar triangle? :-)

However, it's still a good idea to check the data. Both for correctness
in orientation/translation (for example, ODE uses WXYZ order for
quaternions, if it matters), and for correctness in building (If you use
the "simple" build functions, your triangle verts should be float x, y,
z, q -- yes, a fourth, unused component per vertex!), winding order, etc.

That being said, I'm not sure how much testing plane vs trimesh has
gotten. It's not the most common combination. Typically, trimeshes are
solid and unmovable -- not just in ODE, but in most game engines. Actors
are treated by proxies (capsules, boxes, etc).

Cheers,

          / h+