[ODE] Newbie question about permeability forces.

Jon Watte (ODE) hplus-ode at mindcontrol.org
Mon Nov 26 12:59:52 MST 2007

Jeremy Roberts wrote:
>      The desired effect is such that the shockwave needs to apply
> forces to neighboring objects as it expands but it should not be solid
> (i.e. objects could still exist within it's blast radius).

Use an expanding sphere to detect objects in radius, but don't create a
contact joint; instead add a force. The force should probably be
proportional to the difference between the objects velocity and the
shockwave velocity.

I did this in my decades-old "carworld" ODE demo, back in 0.39 or so.
That demo has still gone defunct, but it worked a treat.

Cheers,

          / h+