[ODE] [ opende-Patches-1335198 ] Sweep and Prune Space

Mark Williams mark at image-engine.com
Fri Nov 9 14:57:25 MST 2007

David Walters wrote:
> Okay, I've added this new Sweep and Prune space.

Wow, that was quick! Thanks so much!

> Finally, I've not profiled this at all - I'm hoping Mark Williams,
> etc. can tell me if it's even faster now I've incorporated it
> properly.

It does seem slightly better - it now outperforms QuadTree space by a
small amount (2-3%) for the test case I was previously working with.

I'm using GIMPACT and everything builds fine out-of-the-box (linux gcc
4.0.2) - single precisions only here, because of existing issues with
double/GIMPACT, though. I've not seen any memory leaks.

I'd love to see some documentation on this added to the Wiki, if
possible, especially regarding how to establish what the best "axis"
might be for a given configuration. Also,  I see that computeAABB is not
yet implemented, so perhaps an assert should be added there inline with
the other non-implemented functions elsewhere in ODE?

It's a great job as far as I can tell so far, and will be using it as my
"default" collision space in the future!

Thanks again,
Mark