[ODE] Little physics problem

Remi Ricard remi.ricard at simlog.com
Fri Nov 9 08:59:04 MST 2007

Hi Joao,
> Not quite sure i did understand what u said.
> i have setted the mu to 50.0 and to infinite and to 0 and the only
> difference is the time it takes to get to the final velocity, that
> changes too.
See the contact Joint on the wiki page.

http://opende.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Manual_%28Joint_Types_and_Functions%29

> The ball should never be with a constant velocity when no force
> applied and only the friction is present......

The ball with have constants velocity if there is no force applied on
it. (This is one of the Newton's law).

Since friction is a force then if there is friction and velocity at the
contact point the velocity can decrease.
But ...

If the ball is only rolling and not sliding the velocity at the contact
point is zero. (This is the instantaneous point of rotation (I took my
physics courses in French so this might not be the good translation)).
Since the friction force is only against the velocity there is no
friction force in that case.

Since there is also no deformation no energy is lost in Heat. (ODE is
rigid body simulation)

So the velocity should remain constant. (Try the demo_buggy. It is not a
sphere but 3 cylinders but in a straight line it is the same effect).

Remi