[ODE] ODE spatial inconsistency

Jon Watte (ODE) hplus-ode at mindcontrol.org
Wed Jun 20 23:29:30 MST 2007

ODE has been made fully deterministic in the past. I suggest you search
the mailing list archives for what you need to do.
In brief:
1. There is a random number generator for permuting the matrix in the
fast solver that needs to be consistently seeded.
2. The rounding mode of the CPU needs to be consistent (this is the x87
control word)
3. The register size mode of the CPU needs to be consistent (this is
also in the x87 control word)
4. All objects, geoms, and queries need to be introduced into the system
in a consistent ordering.
Note that certain libraries and signal handlers will change those modes
on you, so your best bet is to test and reset if necessary before you
start your collision/step, each time.

Btw: rounding does not "fix" divergence errors, it just masks them. Once
in a while, that last bit will go the other way, and suddely you've
introduced an even bigger error by doing the rounding.

Cheers,

             / h+