[ODE] composite object split

Guillaume Jouffroy oxymore at tele2.fr
Tue Jul 31 07:30:28 MST 2007

The test_movingtrimesh example works very well at my home (the rabbits
are falling like hell), even if it is true that the collision of rabbits
after several of them become a bit odd. So I guess my trimesh should
work correctly (I create a real trimesh actually with dCreateTrimesh).

The reason that my composite object is dancing (I guess) comes from the
fact that its base is a sphere (and the body is at the center of this
sphere). Then the trimesh is offset on the top of that, and finally a
cylinder offset on top.
As I have read there is no friction for rolling stuffs so the ball is
rolling, knocking the ground on the trimesh then rolling another way
etc... I guess there is something to do with the center of masses of the
composite object which is probably not at the center of the ball. But I
don't see how (well if you think my guess is good).

Also, the thing is that all the example tests are nearly invisible for
me, because my computer is too fast. I don't see anything in ode to
reduce/regulate the framerate of the simulation (I have tried to change
the quickstep to step, or to increase a lot the precision but the comp
is still too fast). Thus a little constant move of a problem make things
go like crazy.

2 more questions:
* Is there a way to fix a geom with a body, in the air to attach things
to it, for debug purposes ? I can attach things to the ground with the
fixed joint, but I cannot fix one in the air.
* Is there a way to prevent joints to break when 2 bodies fall on the
ground ? It seems that when my objects fall on the ground they do it so
violently !! Why ? Each part is only kg, and the fall from 0.5 height or
so which is not supposed to be terrible. All my geoms are far less than
1 in side.