[ODE] Joint Question

dan miller danbmil99 at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 30 22:05:32 MST 2007

> I'm trying to simulate a "pin joint".  In this scenario, one body has
> a hole through which another body spins:  this is shown below in an
> exquisite ASCII figure.
> Does anyone have any suggestions for simulating this kind of scenario?

You need to create a 'phantom' part that is connected to one body with a
hinge (no stops, ie a free-spinning axle); then connect it to your other
part with a slider.

The only drawback to this approach is that you can't make the middle part
massless, though the mass can be quite small (keep an eye out for
instabilities if it gets too low though)

-dbm