[ODE] code quality again

Olivier Delannoy olivier.delannoy at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 03:05:49 MST 2007

A simple way to help a bit in that regards is to expect allcontribution to follow some code guidelines. If the later are clearlywritten on the website it became easier to follow them and provide asoftware of a better quality and a common look even if the source codeis provided by contributors.
It doesn't solve all issues but it helps the project to enhance thecode quality and helps in the reading of it.
just my two cents :)
On 7/11/07, Jon Watte (ODE) <hplus-ode at mindcontrol.org> wrote:>> There are two problems facing ODE, or any fundamentally hard open source> project:>> 1) Solid physics simulation is actually a hard problem that requires> significant rigor. Such rigor is actually not commonly found among open> source developers or hobbyists.>> 2) Everyone working with ODE want to "make a game" or "finish their> thesis" -- they don't want to "make ODE better." Thus, there's a real> shortage of people's time to actually improve it substantially in the> ways that you suggest.>> Yourself, you have the same attitude: it's not what I want, and I'm not> going to spend the time making it so.>> You will find that the other free or free-ish systems (Bullet, Gimpact,> Newton, etc) have their own problems, with performance, stability,> flexibility, or a combination thereof. The only system I'd use rather> than ODE (if source didn't matter) is PhysX, which is free (on PC) and> high quality, because people have gotten paid, daily, to address those> hard issues.>> Open Source is a great model when several somewhat inexperienced> developers with free time on their hands can get a kick out of> contributing. It starts falling down as soon as the problem becomes such> that the people who can best work on it, are already busy working long> hours on things they get paid for.>> Cheers,>>           / h+>>> Gero Müller wrote:> > I think it is a pitty because of this i actually consider using another> > library. Which is not worth mentioning as my project is too small, but> > it MAY reflect other possibile users/contributers opinion as well. So> > PLEASE increase code quality before patches are merged.> >>> _______________________________________________> ODE mailing list> ODE at ode.org> http://ode.org/mailman/listinfo/ode

-- Olivier DelannoyATERPRiSM LaboratoryVersailles University, FRANCE