[ODE] Exception Handling

Bram Stolk bram at sara.nl
Wed Jan 31 12:39:07 MST 2007

On Tue, 2007-01-30 at 13:32 -0800, Jon Watte (ODE) wrote:
> C linkage means that people using Delphi, or Visual Basic, or even plain
> C, can use the library. It also makes for a simple P/Invoke import path
> to managed languages (such as C#). With native C++ exceptions in the
> mix, it's a whole other ballpark -- while you might still be able to
> link against the ODE library, any exception thrown will likely end up
> with application termination.
>
> We keep getting questions about using ODE in all kinds of wacky
> languages, so I assume it's something that's actively used.
>
> Also: with C linkage, ODE is not compiler version dependent. With C++
> linkage, each version of Visual Studio (or GCC) would need its own copy
> of the DLL.

Jon, you mentioned that all exceptions should be caught within the API.
If we do this... will that save us from the linkage problems?
If so, I think we should pursue this for 0.9

Personally, I run my apps outside an IDE, also, I don't use gdb much,
so having exceptions would help me trace denormals without having me
to put breakpts in gdb runs.

  Bram