[ODE] The pushing of a morphing model

Zanshin gzanshin at gmail.com
Mon Jan 15 11:17:29 MST 2007

It's more a consecuence of a game's mechanics than a desired effect.

I want a sphere, a material cube, an ethereal cube and a cylinder to morph
into each other. The problem is that the morphs will ofter have to be done
while many pieces are stacked together and I simply want a way of solving
the positioning with the least interference in the objects' movement.

So, for the ethereal cube with a sphere occupying part of it's space, I
would like a force to push the sphere slowly so it stops almost exactly at
it's border and almost exactly when the cube is materialized.
For example, if cube and sphere (side = diameter = D) are at position 0, and
the transformation lasts for t seconds, I'd like the formula for a force
that stops the sphere at position D but with a "soft" movement, i.e.: slower
at first, fastest at D/2 and slower until it stops at D and the cube turns
solid, in contact with the sphere and without pushing it away.

The other problems are, of course, how to push while the rest of objects
morph. I hope to solve those with SoftCFM + increased ERP instead of having
to make intermediate meshes and colliding them normally.