[ODE] ODE Tutorial

Jon Watte (ODE) hplus-ode at mindcontrol.org
Thu Aug 16 17:15:50 MST 2007

Yes, that code is totally buggy, and in fact would emit a warning on
many modern compilers.

The intention is to calculate the union of two axis-aligned bounding
boxes, so the innermost variable called "aabb" should really be called
"aabb2" and the code should say:

for (int i=0;i<3;++i) {
  aabb[i] = min(aabb[i],aabb2[i]);
  aabb[3+i]=max(aabb[3+i],aabb2[3+i]);
}

Given that you were confused by the obviously bad code, you should have
trusted your instincts and realized that it's a bug. In general, I've
found that tutorials on the Internet are often written by people with
more good will than actual experience -- in fact, you often see
statements like "I figured I should learn library X while learning
language Y, so I wrote a tutorial as a way of learning."

You should mail the tutorial author and let him know about the bug, btw.

Cheers,

          / h+