[ODE] Segfaulting ODE with too many objects -- ALLOC vs MALLOC

Jean-Sebastien Guay jean-sebastien.guay at polymtl.ca
Thu Sep 28 10:48:28 MST 2006

Hello,

> What do folks think of this? It comes up often enough that it is
> probably worth dealing with.

Personally, I think that using the stack for the sake of efficiency is a bad
reason.

You can preallocate a memory pool and have expansion/shrinking mechanisms when
you run out of pool space. The result is that you don't use the stack and it's
every bit as fast (on average, when the initial pool and grow sizes are
appropriate).

I concur that changing this is a good step forward. However, if there are other
advantages to using the stack which I'm not aware of in this case, then please
ignore this message. I don't know the ODE internals that well, after all.

My 0.02$CAN. :-)

J-S
Jean-Sebastien Guay     jean-sebastien.guay at polymtl.ca
                        http://whitestar02.webhop.org/