[ODE] getting an entity to follow another

Jon Watte (ODE) hplus-ode at mindcontrol.org
Tue Sep 5 11:45:41 MST 2006

1) get front vector of current entity and normalize
2) get vector from entity to target and normalize
3) cross product and normalize: That's the axis of rotation.
4) project the target direction vectors to the plane expressed by this
axis, containing the entity position (using forward direction as the "y"
reference vector). This is a dot product and a vector scale/add.
5) use atan2() on the coordinate you get out: That's the angle of rotation

This process is robust for almost all directions, except when the plane
goes singular (i e, the object is already straight ahead).

If you already have the plane (say, the horizontal plane) then step 5 is
all you need.

Cheers,

          / h+