[ODE] ODE-GIMPACT performance and advices

erwin@erwincoumans.com erwin at erwincoumans.com
Sun Oct 29 19:04:25 MST 2006

>>Maybe total liberty works better in multiplayer mode...

Have you ever played Grand Theft Auto Vice City? Many players enjoy the
large freedom just as much as the missions, so it is not restricted to
multiplayer.

Destructable physics environments will become more important in next-gen
physics, see Pixelux/Lucas Arts 'Digital Molecular Matter'. So tools like
Ageia's CreateDynamics for convex decomposition, and Finite Element Methods
will be more commonly used. It's probably best to leave the gameplay
discussion for another forum, and focus on the tech. Static structures are
still useful, but more and more parts of game physics environments will
become dynamic: Destruction is one of the next steps, next to Naturalmotion
style balancing ragdolls (powered ragdolls constraints).

I prefer dealing with moving volumes, like convex decompositions and
tetrahedral meshes, instead of triangle meshes. But I'm still curious to see
the new GImpact's concave-concave in action.

Erwin
http://bullet.sf.net