[ODE] Suggest a type of Licence for GIMPACT

Chris Bainbridge chris.bainbridge at gmail.com
Thu Oct 26 08:11:50 MST 2006

On 26/10/06, gl <gl at ntlworld.com> wrote:

> > LGPL has basically one restriction: .exe needs to be dynamically linked
>
> ... or you must publish your entire sources, as I said.  Also modifications
> to the library itself need to be published.

This is wrong. The GPL states that you must publish the sources of any
derivative works. What exactly is a derivative work is for the courts
to decide; static vs dynamic linking doesn't really apply (for
example, you can't dynamically link your closed source app to some GPL
code). The LGPL states that you must publish the sources, including
any changes, for the LGPL potion of any code you distribute. Section
6a of the LGPL explicitly states that you are allowed to statically
link to LGPL code and redistribute, provided you provided the binary
object code of your closed source app so that it can be relinked by
the user.