[ODE] Segfaulting ODE with too many objects -- ALLOC vs MALLOC

Jon Watte (ODE) hplus-ode at mindcontrol.org
Tue Oct 3 10:02:05 MST 2006

Kyle Hubert wrote:

> when they do apparently-legal things and get segfaults. Should I make
> sure that all such bug reports should be directed to you? :)

It's open source. If it bugs you enough, you fix it. I'm just helping
out with the Voice of Experience here :-)

> switch to malloc/free. Also, as you point out, malloc/free is slower,
> so why would I want this?

If you don't want to write code yourself, you can attempt to use the
code that's already there.

> Unfortunately,  I'm not developing a Windows application. I'm stuck
> working on a Linux application in Windows until I can convince work to
> get me a real Linux box. Which, then I'll get to pound my head against
> all the dll->so changes.

That's a bummer. When I'm in that situation, I dual-boot, with a virtual
linux partition as a giant file on the Windows partition. But it's been
a while -- we have a wall of rack-mount Linux boxes here to use when needed.

Cheers,

			/ h+