[ODE] Fwd: [ opende-Patches-1589445 ] Update vs2003 solution to add gimpact

Bram Stolk bram at sara.nl
Sat Nov 4 01:35:25 MST 2006

On Fri, 2006-11-03 at 20:01 -0800, Francisco Leon wrote:
> I don't have idea how SVN is managed. Many of the
> patches that I've sent haven't been updated on SVN
> (specially my OPCODE fix)

Francisco,

You are upsetting me.
Your fine coding skills are exceedingly counter-balanced
by your poor communication skills.

Time and time again, you get good solid advice on this list
on how community projects are working.

Let's start with the advice you got twice, and never
responded to: nested SVN was suggested twice.

Jason then graciously donated his time to do a full
integration of your code in ODE, no small task.

Now, with the lack of nested SVN, maintenance of gimpact
by you is more complex, and could be handled via opende
SourceForge patches.

Now, you tend to send in whole .cpp files, first to the
list, and after being explained about SF, you send them
to SF tracker.

You've been explained that for developers, it is an extra
burden to get complete files. We cannot just do a full
replacement and hope all is well. You've been asked to
submit delta's instead. That is another sound advice.

Again ignored... as a matter of fact, it is getting worse,
you've switched to sending zip files now.

And to top it all of, you now start complaining about the
speed at which your patches are handled (by volunteers
mind you, with full day jobs as well).

*Normally* in such circumstances, I always favor granting
SVN write access, so that the active developers are not
burdened by being just a pass-through. With you, I'm not
so sure... your rash comments, and poor listening would
get me nervous when giving you write access. But if that's
what the community here wants, that is what we'll do. I,
however, am wondering more and more about how old you actually
are.

   Bram

PS: I really appreciate what you did for ODE's trimesh
    support. I just hope that in the future, your skills
    can benefit the community more efficiently.