[ODE] Auto Disable Improvement patch #1586738

Jaroslav Sinecky jsinecky at tiscali.cz
Thu Nov 2 03:19:00 MST 2006

You're right, it's not exactly the same but it's very similar in effect.
You'll have to tune the velocity threshold and the number of steps used
for calculating the average value for each particular case. Just
consider our simple case of object thrown up in the air ... you have
exactly the same problem as before, for certain number of steps the
average velocity will be very close to zero, so for a number of steps
relatively low in respect to your threshold value, the object will get
autodisabled in the air.
Well ... thinking about it now, the average velocity solution seems
actually much worse for this case because for any number of steps
chosen, there will always be a moment when the average velocity will be
zero even if the object is going down with some high instantaneous
velocity again. So anyway you would have to employ it together with some
current criteria of momentaneous velocity or step/time counting.
The same as any object undergoing some periodical movement will have
average velocity zero all the time :-)

Jaroslav