[ODE] graphics front end

Francisco Leon projectileman at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 1 12:35:02 MST 2006

Well, ODE doesn't need fancy graphics, but at least we
could try to make drawstuff faster for simulations.

The test_moving_trimesh.exe sample runs slower with
bunnies: the reason isn't the trimesh code (It runs
fast now!), but certainly the code for drawing
trimeshes is too slow. Indeed, the drawing code uses
glBegin-glVertex-glEnd like commands for drawing each
triangle. If the bunny has about 1000 triangles, have
you idea how slower it would be?

At least, we can paste some code for drawing Trimeshes
with vertex array instead.

--- "Jon Watte (ODE)" <hplus-ode at mindcontrol.org>
wrote:

> I don't think anything needs improvement in
> drawstuff. As far as I can
> tell, the original requester wanted a new graphics
> library for HIS OWN
> uses -- i e, he'd actually been using drawstuff
> until now.
>
> Cheers,
>
>           / h+
>

> STenyaK (Bruno Gonzalez) wrote:
> > In my opinion there's no need for flashy graphics
> in ODE tests... what do
> > we want? Isn't the only purpose to simply view
> physics?
> > In that case Ogre and similar libs look
> overkill... too many dependencies
> > for a simple physics show IMHO.
> >
> > Can't we just extend drawstuff so that vertex
> arrays are used? Appart from
> > that, what else needs improvement?

"Technocracy Rules with Supremacy"
Visit http://gimpact.sourceforge.net