[ODE] ODE derivative work - license questions

Michael Goldish michael.goldish at gmail.com
Wed Nov 1 08:16:46 MST 2006

Hello,

I'm not sure this is the right place to ask, but I couldn't find a better
place.

I've modified ODE and would like to release my version as a separate
program, under the BSD and LGPL licenses.

My questions are:

1. How should I give myself credit in the BSD license file
(LICENSE-BSD.TXT), while keeping the original copyright notice? I'm
referring to the following text:

Open Dynamics Engine
Copyright (c) 2001-2004, Russell L. Smith.
All rights reserved.

Should I append my copyright notice, or prepend it, or does it make no
difference? Do I also need to keep "Open Dynamics Engine"? (my program
obviously has a different name).

2. How and who should I give credit in the source and header files? I'm
referring to the following text:

/*************************************************************************
  * Open Dynamics Engine, Copyright (C) 2001,2002 Russell L. Smith.       *
  * All rights reserved.  Email: russ at q12.org   Web: www.q12.org          *

Can/should I change the name of the program to my own? Should I keep the
Copyright notice? Should I append/prepend mine?

3. Same question, regarding the README file.

Again I'm sorry if these questions are irrelevant or dumb, but I couldn't
find any web reference that answers them.

Thanks,
Michael Goldish