[ODE] ODE Documentation

Justin Couch justin at vlc.com.au
Thu Mar 30 09:47:01 MST 2006

J. Perkins wrote:

> The drawback to this approach is that it requires someone to go
> download all of the source code, then figure out the doxygen (or
> whatever) syntax, make updates without breaking the build, and then
> get everything checked back in. ODE seems to have a large casual
> audience that isn't on this list (the activity logs show ~100
> downloads a day!) and is integrated into a lot of third-party
> projects. I'd hate to scare away potential contributions from these
> less-technical (or just less-interested) folks.

This works really well in the Java world, where javadoc is considered de
riguer rather than an afterthought like it is in so many non-Java
projects. The huge communities around those projects (including several
that I do maintenance on) don't seem to have a problem with this. It is
a form of self-documenting code after all.

Justin