[ODE] vtTerrain and ODE

Jon Watte (ODE) hplus-ode at mindcontrol.org
Mon Jun 26 08:05:26 MST 2006

Tristan McMillan wrote:
> Also if anyone knows of any examples I would much appreciate it.

CarWorld comes with a heightmap loader, which it collides as terrain
data. It just loads height field data and bakes it to vertices/indices,
and then builds a trimesh out of that. I believe the default in CarWorld
is to load an "arbitrary" mesh file and build/collide against that,
though, so you'd have to change an ifdef to get heightfield. Perhaps
arbitrary-mesh is really what you want, though, in which case it does
exactly that, as-is.

If you can't get it to work, it's probably an error in your usage of the
functions (such as what data you pass in), rather than in the ODE/OPCODE
stuff. It's pretty solid (as long as you don't do moving trimeshes).

Cheers,

          / h+