[ODE] Continuous collision detection for ODE

Michael Goldish michael.goldish at gmail.com
Sat Jun 24 12:29:48 MST 2006

Hello all,

I've been working on a large modification to ODE, with these goals in mind:
- continuous collision detection
- stable trimesh-trimesh collisions
- mass ratio invariance (heavy things won't sink into the ground)

The resulting engine will be significantly slower but still useful for
real time applications.

The modification replaces (or adds its own version of) the following:
- all collision detection routines
- dWorldStep
- dSolveLCP (small modification)
- some general utility functions, island processing, AABB tests

I'm not done yet, but I'm asking anyway in order to make sure I'm going
the right direction:
if I complete the project and make it usable, could it theoretically be
integrated into ODE, or will it have to be a separate independent engine?
I'm asking this because I'd like to know how backwards compatible I should
make my modification. If you think it's a bad idea to integrate it into
ODE, then I'll be able to save time by writing dirtier code.

Thanks,
Michael