[ODE] On the meaning of ODE stability (was some quick notes on 0; 6) ...

Justin Couch justin at vlc.com.au
Fri Jun 23 11:52:15 MST 2006

Jon Watte (ODE) wrote:
> Each game will depend on specific bugs and quirks of specific versions
> of ODE. A systemwide ODE shared library isn't all THAT useful in general
> (other than as a checkmark), and is downright detrimental to software
> compatibility moving forward.

That argument doesn't stand up to reality. You could apply this same
argument to any library that a game uses - OpenGL/OpenAL, DirectX,
whatever. Yet, games and game writers manage to do just find handling
that. They even have to deal with bugs based on different driver
implementations of the same API or different variants of the same
hardware - a far, far more complex set of problems than a simple
software library like ODE.

This whole stand against a system-wide library strikes me as very
backwards in thinking. It's almost like we're in the late 80's all over
again. It's the only library that I've come across with this sort of
horribly negative attitude towards its users. You, as library developers
should be listening to what your users want and make sure it functions
correctly for that situation. Not the other way around of telling them
how to write and package their applications - many of which are
completely unable to do that.

I'm another one of these developers that has another language binding
over ODE (in my case, Java). We're needing to use the system library
approach because that's how the language and runtime environment works.
The current setup is, quite frankly, a horrible nightmare to deal with
for applications that bind to it from the Java world. Something, that
with a couple of line change to some build scripts, could be easily
solved once and for all (ignoring the GL-style f/d function name suffix
stuff, which will be very, very useful once complete).

--
Justin Couch                         http://www.vlc.com.au/~justin/
Java Architect & Bit Twiddler              http://www.yumetech.com/