[ODE] FW: Quick dQuaternion question

Auro auro.ghosh at gmail.com
Thu Jun 15 01:07:01 MST 2006

Hmm Jon,

you've stated it very clearly yourself: right-handed rules for a right
handed system, and left-handed rules for a left handed system, as long as
you stick to the conventions there is never any mixing up. So if you're
working with a left-handed system and pass certain data into a black-box
(ODE) and retrieve the data back and interpret it as left-handed then you
have no problems. The same goes if you were working with a right handed
system. In short you really don't have to bother what handed-system the
black-box uses - since its internal system is consistent and your external
system is consistent.

But that does not imply that the black-box is handedness free (though you're
justified in saying that to minimise confusion). Handedness is both an
interpretation/physical constraint and also an inherent requirement in the
mathematical cross-product operation. You cannot compute a cross-product
without a handedness convention. Thus you are right in saying that
matrix-multiplication is handedness neutral, and I'd agree that unit
quaternions and orthogonal matrices under multiplication are both the SO(3)
group - but can you actually convert from quats to mats without a handedness
convention (this is a question I actually ask you - since all the reference
on this topic I've had is from Martin Baker's euclideanspace:
http://www.euclideanspace.com/maths/geometry/rotations/conversions/quaternionToMatrix/index.htm.
And there the method he shows uses cross-products and is therefore
handedness dependent.)? Therefore I wouldn't say that "quaternion
multiplication must be handedness neutral" (they definitely are not -
though, when multiplied, what they conceptually represent - two consecutive
rotations is 3 space, is handedness neutral!)

Anyway, irrespective of the theoretical question of "can you convert?", the
ODE code for "dQMultiply0, dQtoR", clearly state that the ODE black-box
internally uses a right-handed system.

Thanks again for your patient replies.

Cheers,

Sincerely,