[ODE] why low mass geoms crash the simulation.

Ignacio García Fernández ignacio.garcia at uv.es
Wed Jun 14 03:55:56 MST 2006

El mié, 14-06-2006 a las 11:28 +0200, LR escribió:
>  Hi,
>
> Changing the time step does not resolves my mass problem, then i done a very
> little simulation:
> 2 boxes (designs a L) connected with a hinge and a plane for the ground:
>
> If the boxes mass = 0,050kg and torque applyed into the hinge is 1 -->
> bodies take over the world (BANG !)
>
> If the boxes mass = 1    kg and torque applyed into the hinge is 1 --> OK
> If the boxes mass = 0,050kg and torque applyed into the hinge is between 0.1
> and 0.5 --> OK

Ok, it may be what M. McGuire pointed out. But if ou apply small forces,
it keeps stable. So it seems to me that it is a problem of stiffness.
[ Morgan. If it is an underflow problem, shouldn't it also crash with
small forces? ]

What stepsize are you using? With the crashing configuration, 0.05kg and
1Nm torque, use an stepsize of 0.0001

Let it go a few thousand steps, and see what happens.