[ODE] dMassTranslate

Auro auro.ghosh at gmail.com
Thu Jun 1 00:25:37 MST 2006

Hi guys,

if it's of any help I'll try and explain how I got it to work on my PC. You
have to use a combination of TransformGeom to offset the actual geom
(cylinder) and massTranslate to shift the mass to the new CM of the shifted
shape.

Explanation (an attempt):
A solidbody is represented by only a single point (pos, orientation...). An
analytical shape (cylinder) has a predefined point of reference (it's centre
(I think). When u attach a shape to the body its poiont of reference gets
mapped to the point of the solidbody. Similarly when u compute the mass
properties (Inertia Tensor specifically) for an analytical shape (cylinder)
it is computed by default for its point of reference (the centre). Now just
shifting the mass from the CM (the solidbody point which now coincides with
the reference point of the shape and the reference point of the mass of the
same shape - think inertia tensor), only changes mass properties. But the
shape (the body as u see on ur screen) will still rotate around the CM. So u
need to also offset the Shape the same amount as the mass, so that now with
both the mass and shape shifted away from the CM the whole body will behave
differently (ponderously). Rotations of the body will happen around the CM
which is now offset with respect to both the mass and the shape.

Hope this helps folks.....
Cheers,
 -Auro