[ODE] Dual-precision API (was: Proposal: Change Heightfield Origin)

Jason Perkins starkos at gmail.com
Thu Jul 13 10:43:36 MST 2006

On 7/13/06, Someone (not sure who) wrote:
>  > For those of us running with real world data (eg derived from USGS
>  > terrain datasets), double precision is actually very useful. What is
>  > annoying is that there has to be two different compiled versions of the
>  > codebase with either float or double precision. I work in a mixed world
>  > where we have some of both contributing to models, so we really need to
>  > have that mode where both paths are available simultaneously.

I agree with this wholeheartedly, and will start doing something about
it as soon as I can get the cycles.

The simplest solution is to change all dReal in the API to float, and
then add double-precision versions where it makes sense. ODE will
continue to use dReal internally.

It would be nice if there is also a way to separate the precision used
by the solver and the precision used by everything else. In my ideal
world, I would be able to use doubles for positions and floats for
everything else.

Jason