[ODE] Loading trimesh from file

Rodrigo Hernandez kwizatz at aeongames.com
Tue Jul 11 09:15:03 MST 2006

You have to load the model "manualy" and arrange the triangles into a
vertex array, a triangle index array and a normal array(optional), then
feed the triangles to ODE using dGeomTriMeshDataBuild.

That said, it is probably NOT a good idea to do this for large
"buildings", or for meshes that have too much detail, if say inside your
building
you have a model of a plant, complete with leaves, base and all, doing
per triangle collision tests on that mesh alone is going to cost a lot of
CPU cycles, which results in lower frame refresh, and the simulation is
likelly to slow down, instead use a bounding box for collision, while
still rendering the detailed model.

As for the character question, same answer, forget about using a
trimesh, use a proxy object instead such as a box, sphere or cylinder,
there isnt much for using Cal3D with ODE, you just use one for caracter
animation and rendering and the other for physics, basically set a ODE
proxy object for the character, advance the simulation, get the new
position and rotation for the object from ode, and render the character
with those coordinates.