[ODE] use fixed joints or not?

Josh Singer joshua.b.singer at gmail.com
Fri Jul 7 15:18:04 MST 2006

My ODE game involves dynamic assembly and disassembly of bodies, so fixed
joints looked great. Unfortunately once you have 3 or more of them joining
together a few objects in one "island" the whole thing becomes horribly
unstable and blows up. I tried using constrained hinges (i.e. with stops)
but the effect was the same.

So, I've had to go for one body which is much harder for me to code, as the
centre of mass and moment of inertia keeps changing. Still, it is probably
more efficient in simulation.

josh