[ODE] Detecting sliding during collision

Jon Watte (ODE) hplus-ode at mindcontrol.org
Thu Jan 12 14:53:46 MST 2006

Objects that are sliding the the ground have a non-zero velocity at the
contact point. Objects that stay pinned to the ground have zero velocity
at the contact point. You can read the velocity of a specific point
using a convenient ODE dBody accessor function.

However, why penalize this type of gait? You could penalize on amount of
energy used, to evolve efficient gaits, but penalizing sliding might
prevent some really interesting gaits from evolving. In general, I
thought you wanted to only put in parameters that matter (i e, speed,
staiblity, energy consumption) and not try to "guide" the evolution in
other manners. Else you might as well build the exact gait you want in
the first place ;-)

Cheers,

			/ h+