[ODE] ODE Octree culling

Nguyen Binh ngbinh at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 18:22:26 MST 2006

On 2/28/06, J. Perkins <starkos at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2/28/06, Jeremy Roberts <jroberts at digipen.edu> wrote:
> >   I have an octree module 80% complete and if quad-culling does not seem
> > feasible with ODE I may use that, but having 2 trees (one for collision
> and
> > one for rendering) seems like a waste of memory if you ask me. If you
> want
> > to use that though ever just let me know.
>
> If you write your own octree, use that for collision culling too and
> just ignore the built-in ODE spaces.
>
> Out of curiosity, how do other people handle this? Do you use one
> space for collisions and another for rendering? Your own space for
> both? Something else?

The answer in general is "both".
1: Rendering geometries and collision geometries are different.
2: The rendering culling (mosly frustum culling) and collision culling(just
BV-BV test) are also different.
3: You can use rendering culling information for collision culling in the
sense that you may "disable" physics for objects you don't see

Jason

Binh Nguyen
Computer Science Department
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute