[ODE] ODE Octree culling

Jeremy Roberts jroberts at digipen.edu
Mon Feb 27 21:46:01 MST 2006

Hello fellow ODE users,
   I have a question for you guys (thanks for the previous help J. Perkins and John Miles btw).
   I just got ODE for the first time and have read the documentation but have not implemented anything yet.  Before I implement my tentative design for integration into my game I have a simple question.
 My question is:
 Can we use the quadtree space for graphics frustrum culling?  I was planning on writing my own octree module for the graphics culling (on an object level basis) before I decided to integrate ODE.  It would save a lot of time if it were possible to use ODE.  It says in the ODE documentation that the quadtree is good for outdoor games (which mine is) but it also says:
     "Currently dSpaceGetGeom is not implemented for the quadtree space."
     I understand how to generate the quadtree, but how do we determine which objects are in which quad/octant without dSpaceGetGeom?
     I guess what I am trying to do is frustrum cull quads from the quadtree (and thus the objects in them) and thus only require frustrum culling of objects in visible quads/octants.
    Is this possible without dSpaceGetGeom for the quadtree?
    Thanks, your friend, Jeremy