[ODE] Updating documentation

Remi Ricard remi.ricard at simlog.com
Wed Feb 15 12:51:42 MST 2006

Hi,

> On 2/15/06, Remi Ricard <remi.ricard at simlog.com> wrote:
>> So I diged a little bit and found "doccer" in the "attic" of  CVS on
>> sourceforge. By adding a 1; in the last line of snarf I was able to
>> create the html file but I'm missing the images.
>
> Wow, nice job.

Hey, I'm not even good at perl and I was able to make it work... ;-)

>> Where are the images ?
>
> They are on the website. If you want to make a local copy you can
> right-click and "Save Image...". This is hardly ideal but seems to be
> what we are stuck with.

I should have though about that !!
I will go and fetch them.

>> Is there a simple way to create the html documentation file ?
>
> Well, the documentation on the ODE website says that it is
> automatically built from CVS every night. But I'll bet it pulls from
> the (dead) stable branch.

This is what I suspect also.

> There was some discussion about converting
> the documentation to Doxygen format or something similar. I guess I'd
> be inclined to cut-and-paste it into the wiki and do all new editing
> there.

I read from the archived mailing list that Russ wanted to keep the
documentation and code separated. I don't know if he still want that.

I'm using Doxygen for my other projects so I like Doxygen and I already
started adding doxygen comments in the code and I need to strip that
when I do a diff between the unstable branch and my sandbox.

> I'm afraid that you've entered into uncharted territory, Remi. We're
> open to your suggestions.

I'm bringing my chainsaw with me !!

My suggestion will be:  Use doxygen in the code but if lots of people
don't like that, the Doxygen documentation can be written in a separate
file. (I don't really know how to do that but I know it is possible).

Remi