[ODE] Brakes and rotational damping

Jon Watte (ODE) hplus-ode at mindcontrol.org
Fri Feb 10 15:37:05 MST 2006

Matthew Harmon wrote:

> To do this "perfectly" wouldn't I need to understand the same integration
> proccess ODE is using so I can calculate the correct torque for that
> timestep?  Or do you think it would be good enough just to use a Euler
> method to calculate what the counter-torque would need to be.

It so happens that ODE uses a first-order Euler integrator, or close
enough to make no difference :-) Note that you'll probably have other
forces (gravity, ground contacts, etc) that also act on the body, such
that the imprecision in the clamped force probably will get lost in the
noise.

Cheers,

			/ h+